Carriage ‘A’ 1429 entered service on 30/10/1915 once construction was completed at Addington Workshops, Christchurch.
It was originally allocated to the Invercargill section, and is 47ft 6in long. Like A 184 it is split into two compartments separated by a centre lavatory. These compartments were originally fitted with 26 and 22 “Addington” seats respectively, later replaced with 37″Scarret” seats. The original gas lighting was replaced with electric lighting in September of 1927. ‘A’ 1429 was steam heated from new and came to the Plains Railway in 1974.
Like sister carriage ‘A’ 184, ‘A’ 1429 also featured in the Television New Zealand mini-series ‘Hanlon’, and had the battery boxes removed. These have not been reinstated by the Plains Railway over the time since.
‘A’ 1429 was most recently repainted and overhauled in the early 2000’s returning to service in 2002.